Saturday, July 2, 2011

July 1 - Warming Up

Today was a full list of story-telling history sites.    
What did I observe?
Chichen Itza - I don’t really think I can do justice to one of the Seven Wonders of The World in a descriptive paragraph.  I will say that highlights of the Mayan archeological site included the acoustic organization (who doesn’t like crazy cool echo features?) and the vastness of the site.  Stage one of our day required the first and second layer of sunscreen and bugspray. The sweating began.  Luckily our Astrobus is fully loaded with water bottles for all. 
Caves at Balankache - I admit to being a little claustrophobic, so I’m proud of myself for not panicking in the dark and extremely humid caves that were our second stop today.  I think it helped that there was a prerecorded drum-like music that was playing throughout our cave hike.  It made me feel a little bit like Indiana Jones...or something.  The sweating kicked it up about two notches at this point in the day.  I'm not sure how people spent hours holding meetings here.
We loaded up the bus and headed to Merida, our home for the next couple of days. 
Ballet Foloklorico de Yucatan - Back into the heat, we walked to the University to watch the Ballet Folklorico at their open air stage.  The energetic dancing and singing which tells the history of Mexican culture influences made the final round of heat worth it. 

Chichen Itza + Sun

Cenote (sink hole where the mayan sacrificed women and children)

Humid Cave

Ballet Folklorico



No comments:

Post a Comment