Wednesday, July 13, 2011

July 12 - My Favorite Things...About the Comida

Today we spent around eight hours on the bus to take us to Veracruz.  In order to pass some of the time one of the things that our section of the bus talked about was our favorite foods from our trip, thus far.  Since nothing else too exciting happened today, I thought I would share a few of my favorite food factors. 

So, what have I noticed about the food?
#1 - The schedule:  We eat a huge breakfast around 8:30.  Then we eat a big lunch around 2:00 in the afternoon.  Around 8:00 p.m. I usually have a snack, something sweet, or a super light dinner.  I love it. 
# 2 - The service - There are always purse trees to hang bags and coats on.  If there isn’t one at your table, a waiter brings you one.  The moment a dirty plate is empty, it is removed from the table.  If a fly lands in your lemonade, a new one replaces it before you even realize it’s there.  
# 3 - The coffee (cafe con leche) - Waiters are always ready with coffee in one hand and warm milk in another.  Tonight we went to a cafe where the waiters poor the milk two feet above the coffee into the cup and don’t miss a drop. 
# 4 - Warm Tortillas - Need I say more? 
# 5 - Lime and Avocados- Lime and avocado come with everything and everything is better with lime and avocados: chips, bread, soup, enchiladas, vegetables, fish 
# 6- Pan Dulce (Sweet Bread) - I admit to missing wheat bread with peanut butter, but I love that every breakfast offers a variety of sweet breads: chocolate filled, sugar coated, warm sweet bread


fresh tortillas

Pan Dulce

Avocado stuffed with shrimp

Cafe con leche

We're always greeted with fresh squeezed juice

Answering Questions:
While on the bus I was also thinking about some of the questions I've had throughout this trip.  A few days ago I was wondering about how the people in Chamula adopted some religious influences, but not others.  I realized that they didn't really adopt any other form of religion.  They worship in a church that has some Catholic influences, but the way that they worship is completely separate from the building that they are in.  

1 comment: